Monday, January 10, 2011

Arrival in Chicago

Some of you have been through the college routine and you know what it's like to have to get all the issues resolved with housing, ID, finding where to go, and all that jazz; this entry is not exactly for you. You may enjoy it just to laugh at my suffering and/or remember your own.

We, that is my parents and I, got here in the early afternoon. We figured out pretty quickly that my welcome package was somewhat lacking. I didn't have a student ID so I had to use a half sheet of paper that basically said I had a legitimate reason to be in the resident hall. The problem? I didn't have that half sheet in my welcome package, so I was working with a desk assistant whose card did not work with the elevator and therefore we had to get her supervisor to help me out. She used her card to get my stuff upstairs to the 5th floor. We unpacked and I got my half sheet. We then made a trip out to Wal-Mart and Aldi's to get some things that we had forgotten as well as groceries that would have gotten crushed or spoiled in the car ride. Let me tell, you have not seen a busy Wal-Mart until you've been to a Super Wal-Mart in Chicago on a Sunday afternoon. It was an absolute zoo and I was so worn out by the end of that shopping spree that I wanted to cry.

When we got back it was a little smoother since we had less to unpack. After getting the groceries put away and all that wonderful stuff, my dad and I sat down and watched a little of The Fugitive on the TV. My building has a really nice cable package that includes several channels known for playing Star Trek episodes, which is always a win. After things were unpacked, my parents and I said our farewells and I made a list of things I need to take care of soon here. I watched a half an hour of Star Trek: Nemesis and felt so tired that I just went to bed.

Today I got my ID card, my Internet (obviously), and put in some work request orders for my phone line activation and heating issues (way too hot in my room.) Next few things I need to do are go get my laundry done and find my mailbox key at the Post Office. It's been a productive day thus far, let's hope it doesn't stop there.

Can't stop the signal,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment