Monday, January 31, 2011

*sniffle, sniffle, cough, cough, sneeze!*

Well, Shimer College has passed the great plague-like cold onto me and I got it back. I've been sick since Thursday of last week, but even before that I was feeling the pain of an awful sore throat creeping up on me. Class has not been the same while sick, as my body feels constantly worn down, I struggle to stay awake. Getting my homework done is a real pain as well, since I have very little motivation to get it done when feeling the way I do. I seriously want to curl up into a ball, fall asleep, and not wake up until my body has recovered from this cold. I've had colds before, but this one is particularly nasty and vengeful. I start to feel better by the end of the day, go to sleep, and wake up feeling absolutely horrible. I've started a vitamin regimen and I may go to an herbalist to get a special herb that has helped other Shimerians with their colds.

For one of my classes we were supposed to read Books I-V in The Odyssey. One of my buddies who lives in the apartment across the way from me hosted a reading party, where everyone who wanted to could come and we would take turns reading out loud until we got through Book V. I had every intention of doing this when I laid down for a nap at 17:00 with my alarm set to go off at 19:00. I awoke and it was 22:40 and my heart sank. With my sleep disorder, having off-set my sleep by such a dramatic change in sleep pattern, I will now have to stay up all night and all day tomorrow in order to put myself back on track. This is not going to be good since I need to be trying to recover from this cold.

Anyways, over the past weekend there was another rally, but this time it was against the Egyptian tyrant who has been holding his people hostage for some time, but now he has the whole world looking at him. I did not attend this rally because I still had a bad taste in my mouth from the last one. I was afraid that by going out there and rallying I'd end up endorsing political parties and activists who believe in the very opposite things I do. Hindsight being 20/20, I probably could have gone without feeling like I was endorsing something I didn't believe, but I was busy writing my essay for Hum. 2. It felt so good to have gotten that done on Saturday instead of waiting until midnight on Sunday/Monday to start it like many other Shimerians did.

Tomorrow I will not have power, heat, or water in my room. Maintenance is doing some kind of overhaul that will require everything to be shut off for the majority of the day. I plan to avoid my room like the plague. Coincidentally, there is supposed to be ice skating tomorrow for Community Tuesday, but I'm not going if there is because the last thing I want to do is get all wet and cold and have to return to my freezing room.

Can't stop the signal,
James

No comments:

Post a Comment